Monday, February 25, 2013

Touched by A Runner

It seems to be happening more and more.  I'm sincerely touched by a runner. 

I'm terribly lucky to live in a city of Rivers and winding, long bike trails and levees to run on.  These bike trails are also used by walkers, runners, children taking a picnic and swimmers, looking for the next swimming access.  It's these paths that I've spent a majority of my time training on this session and it's opened my eyes to a side of running I never really knew before. 

This past Saturday was a perfect example.  As I trudged along, I'm sure looking at least a tiny bit pathetic, I lost count how many runners ran past me and gave me a comment to boost:

" You look great"
" Atta girl, don't stop" 
" You are doin' it!"
" Way to go, young lady" 
" Good job" 
" Excellent form!"
" That was a great transition"
" Keep going, you are awesome"

All words from people I don't know.  It absolutely astounds me. 

Never before have I encountered this kind of support from strangers.  Lord knows why. Maybe I was the introvert?  Being a big chick, I never wanted that kind of attention on me, so I introverted?  Who knows.  In any case, I both love it and want to crawl in a hole when I hear it. 
It does honestly make me feel good to hear the kindness.  Absolutely.  Yet on the same note, I don't like the attention on me, so it also makes me want to disappear.  I guess if I had my choice, I'd simply stay invisible while I run.  But then to miss those comments that are so kind...

In the world today, it seems everything is getting nasty.  Jobs are scarce, money is tight, abundance is hard to find, the stress and pressure people are feeling and facing is making it an ugly ugly world.  Stress and pressure, unhappiness do not make for the nicest of humans, no?
So to get this little gem, even if it were once a month on a run, would still be worth it.  When a runner is out there running, it doesn't matter to him/her if the person they are passing wears thrift store vs. designer, single vs. divorced, in debt vs.rich, a chocolate addict vs. afraid of caffeine.

 It's as if nothing else matters and the only thing you get respect for is what you are doing: running. 

Runners know how hard it is.  Whether they are 16 years old or have been in 860 marathons, they know.  Even if it's no longer terribly hard for them, they know when it's hard for someone to push on.  The fact that people push through the hard seems to give instant respect and gratitude simply for doing what they choose to do. 

What a beautiful thing this is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment