Monday, February 4, 2013

The Dark Side of Running-The Post I Hate.

I hate this post already.  It's a subject that I don't want to post on, that I don't want to acknowledge, that I don't want to need.  At all.  I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. 
Safety and Running. 

Days before I started my first 'running school' back in January 2012, I read a post of fellow blogger "Shut Up And Run" that pretty much changed everything for me.  It made me sick, it made me scared, it made me not want to run, it made me hate the world a little.  The bloggers cousin, Sherry Arnold disappeared while on her morning run.  In a tiny little rural town of Sydney, Montana, the world of runners was cracked open as one of their own was gone. Never to be seen alive again, the story of Sherry spread like wildfire.   

I do not know the blogger, I do not know Sherry, or her family, friends, students.  I've never been to Montana, nor at the time this happened was I much of a runner.  But it struck me to the core.  How many times had I been out and about on a walk, a run alone, music blaring, at dusk, before sunrise, even with strangers and oddities starting me in the face.  Yes, of course everyone is always thinking 'it could have been me'.  That's what we do. 

A year has gone by.  In that time, I've learned how to properly run.  Form, breathing, pace, hydration, nutrition, cadence...the information I've learned is enormous.  The things I've accomplished even more so.  Three 5k's, 1 10K, a Progressive marathon and a half marathon relay, I've recently signed up for a Half Marathon and a Triathlon. Every step of the way, I've had safety on my mind first and foremost.  I no longer run alone in my neighborhood.  I no longer run alone when I can help it at all.  Putting a strain on my training, yes, it does.  My group of runner buds doesn't share the knowledge of what I've learned, and if they do, they likely don't seem to take it as 'personally' as I appear to.  But I'll admit, I'm just scared. 

The problem is, no matter how safe we think we are, were not.  In the world lately it seems that everyone has gone crazy, gun happy, is anyone really safe?  It's a hard call. 


The tips of running safety are fairly basic. 
- If you can do not run alone. 
- If you do run alone, stay in a well lit, well populated area. 
- Run with mace, pepper spray, stun gun or a dog. 
-Make sure someone always knows your route and the approximate time you will be starting/stopping.
- Carry a phone with you at all times.
- If you must run at night, use a headlamp, flashlights, reflective clothing, shoes
- Avoid areas of dense bushes, trees if you can
- Alter your route, don't take the same route everyday.
- Don't run with loud music in both ears!
- Take a self defense class

I'm sure there are more...but depending on your own running area, practice, and style you should alter the safety practices to what your individual needs are. 

Of course the safest way to get your mileage in?  The treadmill inside.  I keep telling myself one of these days I'm going to start training on the treadmill.  But I hate it.  That's a whole 'nother Oprah. 

For now...stay safe.  Don't ever take your good neighborhood, daylight hours,or kind neighbors for granted.  You just never ever know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment