Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Yet Another Oldie....

I'm not sure when this was actually written, I think around June?

My latest race was my best yet, and my worst yet. 

It was a 5k for a Sheriff K9 charity and while the big dogs didn't chase after us to get us to run, it was still really cool.  My sister had agreed to sign kiddo up for the 1/2 mile kids run for kids 12 and under.  When we got there, all of a sudden kiddo did not want to do the kids run.  Almost refusing to. Instead she insisted on doing the 5k with me.
Thank GOD. She saw something I didn't.  The group for the kids run was all boys, appearing to be between the ages of 6 and 8 years old.  At 11 years old, she would have towered over them, and because she's not much of a runner, she would no doubt have been the slowest.  Talk about a slam to the self esteem.  Forget it.  
 
So we started on the 5k really strong, but slow.  I knew I'd need to adjust my pace in order for us to stick together. I knew I had to stick with kiddo as it was her first 5K and I didn't want her to feel alone out there.  That would have been horrible for her.  Part of me was devastated as my sister was hoping to beat her previous time of 45 minutes.  I loved the idea of setting a new record, so I was excited to push her along, while she pushed me along as well.  Didn't quite work out like that, but I realized something immediately.  I felt much much stronger on this particular race.  Perhaps because kiddo walked most of it, perhaps because I was going much slower than ever, but I really felt strong and fast.  I'd have a burst of speed and then jog back to where kiddo was.  It killed me to not just zoom ahead with everything I had.  But I couldn't leave her behind.  I was so proud that she was willing to do the distance with me, and I know how much she struggled with it....I actually think she hates running.  A feeling I know all too well.

So while I had the slowest time of a 5k ever, nearly an hour ( official time results didn't post...too slow?!) It was my worst time, but also the best strength I think I've ever had.  So. Frustrating.  Slowest time, most strength. 
I'm beginning to think that maybe there's something to that.  Slow slow slow equals lots of power and speed later?  I know I've been told a hundred and forty-nine times to start off slow, leave some energy in the tank and then increase speed as you go along. 
While I think I've done that, now I question my method. 

I'm almost excited to run again to test that theory.  Almost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment