Wednesday, February 12, 2014

August 14, 2013

During my first 5k, I wrote all kinds of phrases on my arm to motivate me.  One of them was " Do it while you still can"
What I meant back then was 'remember your brother who wasn't done living, and died before he got the chance to do some of what he wanted' .  Life is short, we need to take every opportunity to do whatever we can to get through this thing called life. 

Right now, I'm sitting on my sofa, with excruciating pain radiating through the right side of my body.  I've looked several times, but there does not appear to be a chainsaw ripping me in half.  No, this would be the pain of a damn kidney stone. I'm waiting it out to see if I can pass it on my own before heading to the ER to get doped up on morphine to pass the stupid little grain of sand that feels like a spikey tennis ball passing through me.  So far, so good. 
But oh it pisses me off to no end. 
I had plans tonight to ride about 5 or 6 miles with kiddo.  I could burn off some vacation fatty calories and she could burn off some before school adrenaline.  Didn't happen.  Instead I sat with my comfort blankie, water, lemonade, and the family watching "Lizard Lick Towing". 
 
I do this every time I'm sick, in pain, something comes up not allowing me to workout....I curse myself for not doing it while I still could.  Another time it was when my mom was in the ER for a fall. Nothing serious, I needed to be there, obviously, never would have thought twice, but I missed a workout.  I scolded myself for taking a break the day before, because I missed an opportunity.
 
While I'm not so sure this is 'normal' thinking, it does somewhat motivate me to do what I can when I can. The days I don't want to run, bike, swim, whatever...I secretly fear " what if I can't do it tomorrow?"  and sometimes?  It's exactly what I need to get out the door. 

While I don't always remember it when I'm well, pain free, not in a time conflict...it sticks with me enough. 
I suppose one should ask themselves, 
what would you do if there were no tomorrow?
 Then again, I'm not so sure exercise would be on the top of the list.  But it's an interesting thought anyway.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment