Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Try the Tri or Die Trying part II: The Bike

Roughly 5 years ago, my husband decided a great Mothers Day present for me was a family set of bikes.  Alrighty then! I wasn't much of a rider at all, so we started with cheap Wal Mart Moutain Bikes.  We got in several good miles on these bikes, no complaints, no problems.  They worked for us. 
So when Eppies came around, it occurred to me, from the pictures and the descriptions, I was about to be humiliated out of my skin in my cheapy little Wal Mart bike.  The others seemed to all have serious racing bikes.  They had fancy names I couldn't even pronounce.  I'm sure many of them cost more than my car.
But after some consideration, I realized...I can't possibly compete with that.  I'm not a 'serious racer' I don't plan to make the nightly news with my speed or grace on a bike.  I really just wanted to cross the finish line.  So I packed up my Wal Mart bike, and delivered it to the staging area among the elite bikes, cycling shoes, super poop helmets and the like.  Again...I had to focus on the fact that I just wanted to finish.  Not win, not impress...just finish without paramedic intervention. 
The biking part I figured was my strength, as it was  helluva lot easier than running and I had more experience on a bike than a kayak.  I did train, I think my longest was about 10 miles, so I figured I was good on the bike part. 
Looking back now this makes me both laugh and cringe.....read on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment