Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Try The Trying Tri or Die Trying. Part 1: Ruby Rae

On July 20, 2013 I did my first Triathlon. Eppies Great Race has been a Sacramento staple for 40 years. The irony of my first tri being shortly after my 40th birthday did not escape me. In fact I took it as a sign of something amazing.

I had no idea what I was getting into. None. Nada. Zilch. But for some God known reason, that didn't stop me. I forged on full speed ( well not really) ahead and jumped in feet first. But I figured...I could run the 5.83 miles. I could bike 12 miles, I was sure.  Kayaking...well.  I had been kayaking before, twice.

I begged, bribed and blackmailed my husband into guying me a kayak with some 'leftover' money we had ( that in itself is quite the joke, as if it's really 'leftover'. Try more like 'skip the gas bill this month, I want a damn kayak!') I got a cheaper one, on sale and named it the Ruby Rae after it's color and my family initials. I loved her from the get go.
Sadly, so did kiddo. My first time trying her out, kiddo jumped in and went half way across the lake we were at. Meanwhile I'm standing on the shore like a damn food trying to gesture her to come in. She was hooked. Made me proud to get her into something so cool!


It was awkward, slow and unbalanced....Oh wait. That was me. But Ruby didn't seem to care. On my first day out with her, over an hour out and the amazing peace and tranquility I experienced was simply breathtaking. Not to mention the views, the wildlife, the drunken party animals in boats...yeah, the good stuff. It became a simple love and want, all the time. 

I had kayaked on the lake around here several times before the race, never in the river.  Never in actual moving water.  It dawned on me shortly before the race that I could be in trouble.  I signed up for a practice run course, in which we had plenty of instruction, and guidance, especially through the San Juan Rapids part of the course. From the 80 year old man to the 11 year old girl practicing for the race...I was the only one to flip in the rapids.  Not cool.  At all. 
So I had to expect that I'd flip in the race as well.  Oh well.  I wasn't racing for a race, I was racing simply to do it. To finish, to add to my imaginary brag book, to add a sticker to my car...that was my goal. 

The Ruby Rae did me well.  Oh so well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment