Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Knowledgeable and Experienced. Me? Really?

  Once up on a time, when I first started running, I had calf pain so debilitating, it often threatened even my ability to walk, let along run.  Coaches and mentors advised additional liquids, electrolytes, stretching, trigger point....I did it all.  Nothing would stop the calves from burning, becoming solid bricks of painful mass.  Nothing advised eased it at all.  At one point, I had gotten to the track early and I decided I'd take advantage of the time and head out early to burn extra calories.  I started walking, likely because I was feeling lazy at the time, but I walked likely 2 rounds, stretched and then started the running when the session started.

Miraculously, my calves didn't hurt at all. Sure, they were a bit tight, but I was able to complete the assigned run without stopping in agony, stretching on a tree or wanting to cry and curl into a ball. 

So I found my answer to the biggest issue I was having.  Warm up, stretching before a walk/run and going with it.  In the new group I'm in, I noticed many having the same issue.  Tight calves threatening an early end to a running session.  Faces of agony and fear in front of me, I so feel their pain.  I was shocked when no one suggested a warm up and additional stretching before a run.  Then I remembered, no one had shared that 'secret' with me either, I had figured it out for myself- because it's what worked for ME.  Oh okay. 

Last night I did an experiment, which was likely kinda stupid, because I do know better.  I ran without warming up or stretching and sure enough, I could barely walk to the end of the track. OK, theory confirmed.  Duh.   I wanted to die.  I knew I was plenty hydrated, my nutrition was pretty decent, so it confirmed it for me. Again, duh.  Warm up walking and stretching is absolutely crucial for me before a run. 
I shared this little pain covered experiment with the coaches last night and it almost seemed they were skeptical. Again, I have to remind myself that every single body is going to be different, going to react a different way and that my 'solution' may not be a solution for someone else, but might add to an entirely different problem.  But it was mentioned to the group and for the first time, I feel like perhaps my words & experience might have helped someone in the world of running. 

Things like that still amaze me, to be honest.  Me?  Giving advice on running?  How exactly did that happen again?  Part of my twisted mind is 'oh I'm fat, obviously the new skinny runners would know better than I would' .  I hate when I think like a moron. 
Knowledge and experience is still knowledge and experience.  Should it come from a fatty, an elderly, a nun or a criminal, if it's potentially helpful to someone, then who cares where it comes from?  One of these days I'll get that through my thick skull. 

I do have the knowledge.  No, not all of it, I don't even want it all.  I do have the experience.  Not much of an expert, but I've done it.  A lot of it.  Just over 8 months, at least twice a week and I've done it.  Been there, done that.  Right?  To some brand new runner, they likely woudl view me as experienced and having at least some knowledge, but yet it's still hard for me to 'believe' or remember that myself at time.  So apparently some of my cross training needs to include mental work. Not a bad idea, actally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment