Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Always Something...or not.

Yesterday's 'running school' as I like to call it was only the 3rd time meeting.  So the enthusiasm and excitement should still be there, but for me, not so much.  Over the weekend while camping, I caught a horrendous virus-flu-cold that is still lingering.  While it's gotten much better over the last 3 days, it's still there.  Coughing, congestion, and more snot than I care to see-ever. 
Like I always do, I went to Running School.  Now that I've been graduated to the red shirt mentor status, I can't miss.  I just can't.  It's truly not that I think that I'm all that important, popular or needed, Lord knows I'm likely not.  But it keeps me going, knowing that I've been 'promoted' from blue shirt to red shirt.  Not everyone does.  I was asked to step up as a mentor, the sessions are no-cost for me, so I don't miss if I possibly can.  It keeps me going thinking that I'm one of the 'few' and that I'm needed. 

I did my usual warm up, which is to say I shook my body awake after sitting at a desk for 8 hours.  But "warm up" hardly seems fair to say.  My body was already warm enough.  It was 98 degrees outside for God's sake.  I hate the heat.  I will say that repeatedly until it gets cooler.  I hate the heat. 

Warming up, I knew immediately, "Houston, we have a problem". Despite the plethora of cold, cough and allergy medicines I had take throughout the day ( oh yes, allergies are in the house as well) the coughing started.  Having a coughing fit next to some football players in practice stretches was totally cool.  I can only imagine how amazing I looked, there in my red mentoring shirt, sweating like a farm animal, and coughing up lungs.   

OH and let's not forget the hair! Not long ago, I decided it was time for side swept bangs. Since then, it's been a battle while I run to keep them out of my face. I ended up with a bright pink shiny/shimmery headband to hold it all back.  While it doesn't match any clothing I have, I'm thinking it does nicely compliment my bright pink face when I run.  Mission accomplished.  I look awesome. 

So between the heat, the cold, the coughing, the allergies, the ugly sweat and hair thing I had going on, I ran anyway.  I was really glad it was only 1.25 miles for the day ( that still cracks me up and tickles me to say 'only 1.25 miles) and I did it.  I walked a lot of it, hacked a few times, but it was done.  I knew I'd not regret it, but just starting that first step is always the hardest.  Will it ever get easier?!

I'm learning it's always something.  It's the weather, it's my shorts that I don't like, I'm wearing the wrong socks, it's the stupid song on my Mp3, it's the guy in the park who looked at me, my shirt rubs me the wrong way, I didn't sleep well last night, I had a headache earlier, my friends neighbors dog died,  my hair looks dumb, I'm hungry, my husband pissed me off, my sister is stressed out and might need to call, my boss is out of town, I ate cheese puffs for lunch.  It's always something.  Or at least it can be.  Perhaps knowing there's always something to deter, prevent, or not exactly support my running, my mind set or motivation is the first step to saying 'screw it' and doing it anyway.  Easier said than done. 

If I go and prepare for the worst, that everything will annoy me, it will be uncomfortable and not so pleasant, perhaps I will surprise myself and actually get past the 'thing' that could always stand in my way.  Huh.  An interesting concept, at least. 

I have just over one million excuses not to do it.  Now I need to work on the excuses to do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment