Thursday, August 16, 2012

So uh, What's Your Excuse Again?

Yesterday I did a short speech on the 'running school'  I've been in since January at a launch for a group of state workers potentially starting up their own walk/run program.  Basically I told my story, then hung around for questions.  Despite my dear and loathing of public speaking, I felt I did really well and made at least some impact.  It was actually a great experience. 

A woman came up and talked to us about the times of the sessions and kinda hummed and hawed over it.  Her issue was the timing.  After working all day for the state, she then went to a second job, and then home to her children.  The timing of our program would not work for her, but she was okay with that.  " For now, I still move.  I basically don't sit down much, unless I'm eating" She seems to have found a way to do most of her tasks standing up or moving.  She walked as often as she could, her lunch hour and other breaks and basically did whatever she could.  It was impressive.  Even Ms. Athletic I was presenting with had a jaw drop when this woman reported she usually averaged 17,000 steps a day.  " On a good day, I can get up to 25,000 steps."  Wow. 

To be honest, I don't know how that measures.  But I had read only hours before hearing that, that the America Heart Association recommends taking on a goal of walking 10,000 steps a day for increased health and possible weight loss.  Working two jobs and taking care of her kids, this woman, whose name I never got, was doing so much more than that. 

It just goes to show.  Those who can, will.  Those with the will, can. 

We all have a million excuses not to workout, not to do what we should.  Lord knows I do.  Some of them I'm rather proud of!  In reality, of course life does get in the way, schedules change, things come up.  It happens.   Often times there's an opportunity to get creative with the obstacles that stand in the way, but it takes some determination and some creativity.  If the determination to do a workout is there, find a way.  Think of what the ultimate goal is, whether it be to simply burn calories for the day, increase mileage or cross train and ask yourself what tools you have to do just that.  Improvise.  Make it work. 

Those who can, will.  Those with the will, can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment