Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Determining the Finish Line

When running any distance, whether it be one mile or 5, what we count on is the finish line.  Even if there's no 'official' finish line and it's just a certain spot on a track or path to indicate the end, it's important.  Everything, I'm learning needs a finish line.  Even life has it's own finish line. 

The finish line is so much like a goal for me.  A place to get to, a destination to reach.  In more than a few ways, my goals have become my finish lines. I'm forever asking myself, what's the next finish line?  To date, I have no clue.  You have no idea how frustrating and scary that is.  I feel like I'm wandering around in the dark feeling my way around, stumbling on things I can't even see. 

It's occurred to me that my current mindset is not in the best place to be starting a blog,  call that bad timing on my part.  But I s'pose it happens to the best of us.  It's a minor funk/rut that I'm slowly crawling out of and trying to determine what the next finish line will be for me.  Do I increase mileage? Do I increase speed?  Do I increase stamina?  Do I focus on cross training?  Do I focus on weight loss?   It's interesting that I seemingly have NO clue even how to decide. 

But one thing I am certain of, I need to get outta this funk/rut, whatever you wanna call it.  Now.  I realized this funk is the product of my own behavior, my own aimless wandering.  I don't know where I'm going, so I'll just kinda sit here on this large colorful mushroom until I figure it out, meanwhile reversing the results I've worked so hard for.  Blech.  I didn't know I was doing that, didn't intend to, but I did. I may as well have been in Wonderland with Alice. 

 So with one foot in front of the other, I'm just going to move.  Right now I'm working on the mindset as well as getting back on a track.  I don't know if it's the right track to the finish line I'll eventually decide on, but I'm moving in the right direction, that much I know.  Starting with eating better, and getting to the gym as often as possible. 

In the meantime, I'm figuring out the next finish line I want.  Weight loss goal, running improvement goal....no idea what it will be yet and I'm not going to push it.  I've got time.  As long as I keep moving and keep going, I've got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment