Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Welcome!


Alrighty then.  Lets see how this goes. A blog about big running. 

To be clear, 'big running' does not indicate mileage.  It indicates big body size.  This blog is designed to allure bigger folks into the world of running and advise them it IS possible to run even if you are not a size 2 or 20 years old.  I am neither, in fact far from it.  But that's how I know it's possible. 

Right now I weigh 220 lbs and I'm 39.  I have been walk/running for the past 8 months and am volunteering as a running mentor for new runners.  For the record, this still shocks me.  That someone would be looking to me for running motivation/inspiration, looking to me as a running mentor.  Me?  The chick who loves her couch?  Me?  The chick who still can't walk into a room without thinking "yep, fattest one in here" Me?  The one who's driven away from the gym without going in because others might notice I'm fat?  Yeah, that's me in all my mental nonsense.  I started out by faking it, and now I'm making it. 

This all started back in August 2011, after I completed a challenge at my gym and lost weight ( I started at 277 lbs by the way).  I felt amazing that I could do anything.  Running seemed the hardest thing in the world, so I tried it.  And I kept going. 

I'm not an ace, expert, doctor, coach, nutritionist, therapist, nor anything special, spectacular.  When it comes to running, I'm super slow.  But I'm still lapping those still on the couch.  I'm good with that.  I sitll consider myself a beginner, I still can't run a full mile without stopping to walk.  I'm good with that.  I've come a long way, baby. 

I recently completed my 3rd 5k 'race', which was the San Francisco Progressive Marathon.  A marathon you do in stages.  23.1 miles built up before the race, then 3.1 miles on the day of the marathon/5k.  This may be the closest I'll ever get to an actual marathon and again, I'm good with that.  For now. 

My next real goal is to run one full mile without stopping.  Ive gotten up to .6, so I'm well on my way.  While the challenge and excitement of running still scares the pants off of me, it also thrills me as to what my body might be able to do.  It still amazes me somedays.




No comments:

Post a Comment