Thursday, April 4, 2013

Is it REALLY necessary?

An individual I know approached me the other day and asked me what the sticker on my car meant.
" I saw a 26.2 sticker kinda like it, but yours is 13.1. What does it mean?"  So I explained it to him that was the length of my last race. 

" Oh.  Is that really necessary?  I don't really need to know that"
um.  ooohhkayy. 
How exactly does one respond to that?  He mumbled something about bragging and it was unclear if he was disgusted or what. 

What this guy fails to realize is that perhaps the sticker on my car is about no one but myself.  Oh, interesting concept. 
Everyday, at least a couple of times a day, I see it.  When I'm having a 'fat/lazy/idonwanna' day, I see it and I remember.  When I'm driving and want to make a u-turn and go away from the gym for a nap, I see it in the rear view mirror and I remember.  It motivates me.
The days I leave my job feeling like a sucker, a failure and/or a complete dope, it's there, shining and smiling at me, as if to say "it's okay if you were a screw up today...you still did 13.1"  It lifts my spirits. 
So yes...it is really necessary.  For me and me alone. 
For all my self doubts, my worries of my own capabilities, my down talk, questioning my own abilities...all the crap I give myself on pretty much a daily basis, it's a necessary reminder that I can and have conquered the gargantuan mountains I place before me. Including the Half.

It's not, and I repeat...it's NOT there to say " nyah nyah nyah, lookee what I can do that you can't"  Because for all I know?  That dude in his car next to me just did an ultra100 run and chooses not to put it on his car. 

And another thing.  So what if it shows off a little pride.  I am proud.  Very proud. 

1 comment:

  1. You should be proud. We were at a race Saturday and one of the cars had a 140.6 sticker and my friend was like what's that?? UM IRONMAN! yeah the comments, that's crazy, no way, I'd die. Oy. That's like a bad ass dream where I know how to swim~~~~ !

    ReplyDelete