Thursday, March 28, 2013

Getting to Know Pre

I was held up in yet another emergency room on Sunday ( not me, but another family member with kidney stones) and luckily I had some sense about me before rushing out the door enough to grab some magazines to read.  I think it was the latest Runners World that I had in my bag, I read all about Pre.  Steve Prefontaine, the late great runner.  Pre passed away in a tragic auto accident shortly after I was born, so we barely even share the same lifetime. He was a great athlete, he loved the sport and he's an athlete I seemingly have absoluteley nothing in common with. 

Yet I'm intrigued.   I want to know more Pre.  I do not have a full understanding why, or how this one runner is on my mind.  Why not Paula Radcliffe?  Why not Shalene Fitzgerald?  I share a gender and a generation with them, but for some reason I'm not drawn to them as much as I am Pre right now. It's a bit baffling.  I'm still 'new' enough to this sport that I cannot even name half a dozen great runners. 
But my mind keeps coming on to Pre.  Why?
Is it because he's had so much written about him?  Had a movie made about him? ( actually make that two movies about him)   I read in the article that every year there is a Prefontaine Classic, and a Prefontaine Memorial Run.  I'm starting to believe this is one instance that because it's there, because there are books and movies and runs named after him, is why I'm intrigued about what makes him so special. 
But that being said, there's an element of life there too.  Steve Prefontaine died a tragic death way too soon.  He was an incredible athlete like so many others, and while he perhaps did not run the fastest, win the most races, or have the most gold, carrying him on means something special.  His mother and sister help carry on his name, his legend.  They will never forget.  Perhaps their wish, is that as much as they loved him as a son and a brother, they want no one else to forget as well.  Running was his passion as is so many others'.  Matching others passion for the sport with their own passion of their lost one, seems a perfect fit. 
But there's more to it, I'm sure.  This Pre popularity and undying dedication to him is not started or carried on by his family solely.  People show up and run the Prefontaine Classic and Memorial Run.  His mother and sister did not write the books, nor direct/produce the movies. 
So where does it all come from?  How many other amazing great athletes were taken too soon before finishing their sport?  Why Pre? 

I'm intrigued enough to start reading the books or start watching the movies at some point. What is so special about this one runner?  Other than being a helluva guy and a great athlete, there are millions of those out there.   While I'm hoping for some answers to my own curiosity, I'm also hoping for some motivation, inspiration something I'm always needing.  So....lets see what Pre can give me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment