Thursday, April 18, 2013

Were Not Broken, Just Bent

P!nk told me this through my radio this morning and it felt like it really fit the moment. 

"Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second, we're not broken~just bent
And we can learn to love again
It's in the stars
It's been written in the scars on our hearts
We're not broken~ just bent
And we can learn to love again" 
In a nation that's hurting, scarred with fear and distrust, so many are looking for comfort.  The pieces are being picked up, the funerals of the slain are being planned, injured victims are being brought to light, and stories are being told.  The pick up and healing will start to begin. 

While I'm not one for politics, Barrack Obama, our Nations leader said this:

" I have no doubt you will run again, yes, you will run again"

I think that kind of sums it up for runners at this point.  Damn straight we'll run again.  In fact, I think this horrific tragedy has brought to light some of the things about the running community that I've come to know and love: 

1)  No Fear of Fear:  runners seem to face fear everyday.  Fear of the run itself, fear of injury, pain, fatigue or attack, a 'bathroom issue', a mean dog....  Yet we run on.

2)  Compassion:  Seeing someone hurt or struggle, we feel it too.  We've been there, we know how hard it is too.  A sympathetic smile or pat on the back is sometimes all we can do, but we feel it. 

3) Pride:  That runner who's struggling so much, makes us proud.  The guy who finished last, makes us proud.  The fact that were out there, makes us proud. We run for our own pride, not to prove a point, not to gain fame.

4)  Love: The love of the sport, the love of the burning lungs, screaming muscles, and still pushing forward.  The love of the community and the people we are with each other.  Caring, loving, supportive individuals who are all in it for one purpose. 

5)  Determination:  I've seen some incredible feats not only in myself, but others I've known. Coming back after an injury, or a long hiatus off running, pushing limits like crazy.

I know there are more, but I think you get the point.  Running is simply a beautiful community.  One most people don't want to explore (  I so get that, it's hard!!)  or would have no idea what exists behind what they see. 

I truly think the tragedy in Boston three days ago has opened up a new light into the sport and while some might be intrigued, I think even more will discover it's something they want to be a part of.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment