Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Running Turkey

I admit it, I'm overdue for a post.  Got some catching up to do!

I decided with my running group to run the Run To Feed The Hungry on Thanksgiving Day.  While I wanted to run the race [ of course using the terms 'race' loosely as 27,000 people on a street tend to go rather slow] I was really hesitant.  Knowing that a) I hate crowds.  b) I had one day to sleep in over the Thanksgiving holidays c) My husband would not be with me. d) I was feeling the need to hibernate, eat myself stupid and sleep for weeks.  So I literally forced myself to do it. 
Not only that, I forced myself to do the 10K rather than just the 5K. 
( I'll add here that it still thrills me to death to say 'just a 5K') 

But it scared me.  Reviewing the race map, I realized there was a point I could easily turn off and do the 5k instead.  Would I wimp out at the last moment, make that turn and continue to a 5K and call it a go?  I didn't trust myself.  I did what any responsible athlete would do, I put my money behind it. 
A few days before, I bought myself a 10K Christmas ornament and a giant pink sparkly 10K sticker for my car.
Now I had to do it. I bought the proof that I had done it. 
But just in case, I asked my fellow groupies to make sure I didn't turn off and go the shortcut 5K.  I happened to pair off with my Half Marathon Relay partner and it was wonderful.  While I think she's much faster/stronger than I am, she stuck with me.  It was great to have someone stick with me. 

I was shocked to see how many of the locals came out on their porches, driveways and front lawns, fire pits, chairs, blankets, mimosas and pastries to watch and cheer us on.  That was fabulous and fun to watch.  It also made me jealous as hell to see them so comfortable. 

Overall it was fun. Would I do it again?  Oh, I suppose I would.  It's just the early mornings that kill me.  I'm not much of a morning person, so maybe I'll get lucky and  someone will come up with a race that starts at say 4 pm.  That would be nice. 
The biggest disappointment was that my Favorite 'post race restaurant' was closed for Thanksgiving, so no super fatty post race waffle for me.  But I survived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment