Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Cross Training Christmas

Between the end of the last running school session I was mentoring and the beginning of half marathon training in January, I decided I was going to focus on my cross training, working on strength training and  general cardio strength and whatnot. 
I can't say it's not happening, it is.  Sorta.  Not nearly as much as I wanted. Not nearly as much as I'd hoped, but it's going.  Ive not had a decent run since the Thanksgiving run and that scares me.  I fear I'll 'lose' my mileage and not be able to get it back.  Ive done that before, accomplished something, not kept it up and then it kinda slipped away, never to become again.  I hate that. 
So I've not been as adamant about the gym, cross training as I'd hoped, but I realized something else.  I'm freaking tired!
For eleven months, I've been exercising, dieting, learning, running, cross training, meeting new people, mentoring, reading, maintaining runner buddy status, mental working in addition to my regular life of working, wife-ing, parenting, daughter-ing, sister-ing, home-ing, dogging, all of it.  While so much of it I love, it takes time, effort and it can take it's toll.  And that's not even mentioning the daily drama that surrounds my life at all times.  Cool. 

While I don't want to give myself too much slack, [ yeah, been there done that.  I call it the 30 pound Oreo: start with one, end up gaining 30 lbs]  I do want to make it real.  Eat real foods, nap on the couch, spend game night with the family without worrying about the gym.  So I'm attempting to kinda do both.  Yeah right.  I know how that sounds and I know how that goes. 

I'm taking a few classes at the gym, meeting for weights, walking, and doing a bit here and there.  Not expecting any weight loss, as I'm eating...well, like Santa Clause.  But I'm hoping at least when January comes, my system won't be in utter and complete total shock.

But at least for right now I'm attempting.  I'm not giving in, not giving up.  I'm doing what feels right, what feels normal for me right now.  I know all too soon I'll be enveloped in training for the half, working my buttocks off in fear of making an ass out of myself, so I'll double up on running and cross training events, I'll train hard and do what needs to be done for the 3 months of training hard.  I'll neglect my family, forget the dog, zone out at work and won't notice the dust and cobwebs in the corners. 
But I'm so excited. 

I'm excited for the toughness, I'm excited for the 'stress' and tight muscles, I'm excited for the drive I'll feel.  I'm excited for the challenge. I'm excited to feel that fatigue of training, I'm excited to push the limits, to feel the electric adrenaline pulsing through my veins. 

But for right now, I'm really kinda wanting a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment