Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Countdown Begins!

I'm less than a week away from the Urban Cow Half Marathon Relay. At this point, I'm as trained as I'm going to get. The mental side is needing work, as always, but overall, my attitude is "let's do this thing". I can't say whether I'm excited, nervous, or just wanting to get it over with. Time will tell, I suppose. At the track this morning, I noticed what people were wearing. As always, I'm big on people watching, even when I run. It gives me something to do. This morning, being the last day in September, it was still too hot, even at 8:30 a.m. I am dying of the heat, still. It seemed odd to me to see people wearing long pants, long sleeves and even jackets. Soooo, wait a minute. Am I having hot flashes? People, I'm wearing shorts and a tee, and I'm sweating like a farm animal out here. So what gives? I was tempted to ask one individual who was bundled up like it was a blizzard out, why he was wearing sweat pants, a long sleeve shirt and a hoodie, zipped up with his hood on. But I opted not to. I feared it would be some answer that only a super fit person would understand. I did overhear one telling another "oh it feels so good to sweat". Really? I'll admit at times, it feels great to workout. It feels good to get aggressions, frustrations and emotions out in exercise. Sweating is just part of that, sure. But to feel good to sweat? nu-uh. I hate being sweaty. The only time it feels good to sweat is when it's arctic conditions out, and the cool air acts as a fan on my damp skin. In the heat? Sweat feels like I'm being basted in the oven. To each his own, I know. I remember starting a running school session when it was over 100 degrees out, and a fellow mentor advised how good the heat felt. Heat? Feeling good? No way. Only on a beach in Mexico or my bed on a cold winter morning is when the heat feels good to me. Something I will never ever understand. I guess there could easily be a blog entry about me, running in January with only shorts and a tee on, not being bothered one bit by the cold. Others wore ear muffs, gloves, hats, pants and jackets. Nope, not for me. Bring on the cold, I say. So how long are we betting before I'm bitching about the cold and how my old bones just don't work in the cold like they used to!?

No comments:

Post a Comment