Monday, October 15, 2012

The AfterGlow

October 7, 2012, I completed my longest race ever, 6.55 miles, in the Urban Cow Half Marathon Relay.  As with every race I've ever done, looking back, I think " Wow, what an experience" 

I purposely waited a week to write about it, because the race afterglow was so incredible, I was not convinced I'd be able to put two sentences together. ( Not to mention, every body- in fact body parts I didn't know I had-  hurt like hell for days)

While training, the longest run I had done was 6.00 miles in 2 hours.  This was stressful for me because I read somewhere that there was a 4 hour time limit.  I knew my partner would be able to do it in about 1.5 hrs or so, so I stressed on my timing.  A lot. 
So when our time of 3:07 was revealed, I was proud...so proud.  I had not heard what the exact split time was, meaning how much of that 3:07 was partner and how much of that was mine.  At one point it was confirmed my time was 1:43, which made me soar. More distance in less time that I ever trained for. 
But that's Race Day Adrenaline for you. 

I realized that my Race Day Adrenaline for me starts several days in advance.  I think this time it started on Thursday night.  Friday I felt like a hummingbird with too much caffeine.  It's a combination for excitement, nerves, adrenaline, fear, dread, wanting to get it over with, anxiousness, more excitement topped with more excitement.  I was more excited I think than anything. 
When the race occurs, it's almost a surreal experience.  I can vaguely remember only flashes of bits and pieces, yet I was extremely 'aware' during every minute of it. 

For days after the race, I crashed.  I was more sore than I think I had ever been, my fatigue level had caught up with me and then some.  I could not sleep or eat enough.  I wanted to wear my cow bell race medal around my neck showing people " look what I did!"  but I feared all 3 ounces of it would hurt too.  Essentially I took the week off from most, if not all exercise and rested.  It was a nice break, I feel well deserved.
Now?  The Race Day adrenaline is gone, and all I can think about is my next racing endeavour. 




No comments:

Post a Comment